3 Acre Lahaina Brush Fire Sparked By Fireworks

Another testament to why it is so important to teach our keiki about fireworks safety - not only are fireworks an injury risk but when used near dry vegetation, they can be a major fire hazard. We are happy to hear that the keiki were safe from the fire and that one of them took ownership and called in the fire.  

"West Maui fire crews responded to a brush fire reported mauka of Hookahua Street and on the south side of Lahainaluna Road at 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 8, 2017."

"No structures were damaged, but flames came to within 40 feet of one home. An
electrical power pole for a 69,000 volt transmission line had been damaged in the fire and was threatening to collapse, hampering firefighter’s efforts to mop up the fire which scorched a total of 3 acres."

"The brush fire was ruled accidental after it was discovered that three 12-year-old boys were playing with fireworks and the strong winds blew it towards dry grass setting it on fire. One of the boys did the right thing and quickly called 911 to report what had happened."