Community Wildfire Preparedness Day is on Saturday, May 6! Why participate?
- Wildfires are a frequent and significant hazard across Hawaii
- Wildfires impact drinking water, coral reefs, fisheries, recreations, traffic, native forests, and human lives, homes, safety, and health! These are under publicized and need attention. Spread the word!
- Nearly all wildfires are started by people.
- Taking simple steps around your home, yard, and community can protect you and your family.
Join people across the state to safeguard Hawaii’s families, homes, communities, and natural resources from wildfire. Do you part and earn prizes by submitting your photos or stories and earn prizes! Use #WildfireReadyHI on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter or e-mail email@example.com. The three contest categories include:
- Personal: Clean your yard or prepare your family!
- Environment: Protect Hawaii’s natural resources at a Wildfire Prep Day outdoor volunteer event near you!
- Community: Organize a neighborhood Firewise project or awareness effort!
The contest will run all of May in honor of Wildfire Preparedness Month. We will accept all submissions through social media and e-mail up until June 1st, 8 p.m. HAST.
* Kaleo the Pueo t-shirts and hats
* WaveWing hydrofoil surfing fin
* One-night stay at Fairmont Orchid - Hawaii
* Starbucks gift bags (each with 1 lb. of coffee and a tumbler)
* Smokey gear from Hawaii DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources) Division of Forestry and Wildlife
Statewide Volunteer Events (open to all):
* HAWAII: May 6 (8 am - 12 pm) - Kohala Watershed Partnership - Invasive fountain grass and lantana removal (both of which increase wildfire risk and impede growth of native vegetation) at Koaiʻa Tree Sanctuary on Kohala Mountain
* OAHU: May 6 (8-11 am) - Hawaii DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources) Division of Forestry and Wildlife and Hawaii State Parks - Kaʻena Community Wildfire Preparedness Day at Ka'ena State Park
* OAHU: May 11 (8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.) - O'ahu Army Natural Resources Program - Native Seed Planting and Weed Control at Pualiʻi (Waiʻanae mountains). Must RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, May 7 with volunteer application. Limited spots available!
* OAHU: May 24 (6:30 pm) - ReadySetGo! Wildfire Preparedness Workshop at Waianae Public Library (85-625 Farrington Hwy.)
Community Volunteer Events (closed to residents only):
* HAWAII: May 6 - Honokoa Chipper Day
* HAWAII: May 6 - Waialea Clean-Up
* MAUI: May 6 - Waiohuli Chipper Day
Don't forget to post photos and stories to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using #WildfireReadyHI (or e-mail your photos to email@example.com) for a chance to win the prizes above!
Community Wildfire Preparedness Day Photo Contest Facebook event page: